CANCER IS THE ONLY LOSER HERE
We are SO incredibly grateful for all of you who voted for us in the National Geographic Expedition Granted contest. Thank you for sharing the link on social media, sending out emails, and politely harassing everyone you know to vote for us. THANK YOU! It was amazing to see how many people pitched in and showed how much they care about our mission to find bone marrow donors. We were blown away and so encouraged by your excitement, encouragement, and support.
We did not take home the $50,000 prize, BUT we’re not going to let that get us down! And even though we didn’t win, we know that we have an awesome community cheering us on as we work to save the lives of those needing bone marrow transplants. Because we have you, our awesome friends and family, we feel like winners and know that blood cancer is the one who is going to lose.
And the Sharing America’s Marrow (SAM) movement is just beginning! We take off in January for our big trip around the country to register 50,000 donors in 50 states in 2015. If you would like to continue to support the SAM movement, there are a number of ways you can do so! You can:
- Help us host a donor registration event in your city (checkout the route and see if and when we will be coming through, or host your own Donor Jam without us- click here for more info). We could host an event at your school, your workplace, your place of worship, a sporting event or local music festival in your area, etc…
- Help us find housing when we’re on the road by spreading the word to family and friends that could put up 3 girls and their air mattress for a night or two (if you’d want to provide lodging at a hotel- we’re not going to stop you!)
- Continue to post about SAM’s progress on social media to keep the hype going- the more people who know, the more lives we can save!
- Introduce us to any sweet connections around the country that you think would like to help us out! (We are looking for volunteers for Donor Jams, university administration contacts, media opportunities, car dealerships who could donate a large conversion van, gas companies, hotel and food chains, and other companies who could sponsor the quest, etc…)
- Hook us up with gas cards and/or gift cards to national food chains so we can get from point A to point B (Examples: Panera Bread, Olive Garden, Whole Foods, Walmart, BP, Shell, etc) Mail to: SAM Team, 159 Chenoweth Lane, Louisville, KY 40207.
- Donate financially to help cover our other costs on our Crowdrise webpage to fund the Hero Tour, https://www.crowdrise.com/SharingAmericasMarrow/fundraiser/alexkimura
Any and all help is much appreciated and helps us reach our goal of finding bone marrow donors for EVERY patient needing a transplant.
Once again, thank you so much for your support. The SAM Team is very grateful for all of your help so far and we can’t wait to see the positive impact we will make together in the lives of those fighting cancer.
Alex, Sam, and Taylor